"The little girls started screaming: 'We want Davy; we want the Monkees'... You could almost see the little girls asking their mothers: 'Mom why is that man setting his guitar on fire.'"

By Yango - March 12, 2018

Mickey Dolenz, playing in Greenwich Village last Saturday, delivered patter about the time the Monkees on tour had Jimi Hendrix as their opening act. And then Mickey and his current band played "Purple Haze."

The band last Saturday included Mickey's sister Coco, who sang "Daydream Believer" "I'm a Believer" with him — that song (which was written by Neil Diamond) had the late Davy Jones originally singing the lead — and Coco took on the erstwhile role of Linda Ronstadt in a version of "Different Drum" and the Grace Slick part in "White Rabbit":



Here's Coco in 1967, as photographed in Fave:



I think Fave was a spin-off from Tiger Beat. First issue:



ADDED: I tried to find "Davy's Private Glads & Sads!" but Google has a better memory of the the mid-19th century:




"I picture my small self in the dimly-lighted rooms, sitting with my head upon my hand, listening to the doleful..."

Dolenzful.

"... performance of Mr. Mell, and conning to-morrow’s lessons. I picture myself with my books shut up, still listening to the doleful..."

Dolenzful.

"...  performance of Mr. Mell, and listening through it to what used to be at home, and to the blowing of the wind on Yarmouth flats, and feeling very sad and solitary. I picture myself going up to bed, among the unused rooms... I picture myself coming down-stairs in the morning, and looking through a long ghastly gash of a staircase-window at the school-bell hanging on the top of an outhouse, with a weathercock above it...."

CORRECTIONS: I mixe up the 2 "believer" songs. The one written by Neil Diamond (and mentioned in the linked article) is "I'm a Believer." Mickey sang the lead on the original version. The other is "Daydream Believer," and Davy sang the lead. Both are great, and the difference between the 2 could be the basis for an essay on the Mickey/Davy distinction, but I can't write that for you now.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments